List of Photographs in the Review of the Guernsey Society

24th February 2020

Vols. XXXIII-IV  . It should be noted that the credit for photographs appears in these volumes mostly to be to the source, rather than the photographer.

1977

Spring 1977. XXXIII (1). Fig. 1. SS 'Frederica' (LSWR), sistership to 'Lydia' and 'Stella,' leaving St Peter Port. Fig. 2. The old church at Alderney before the new one was built in 1850. The walls only are left. From a sketch by Amelia Tupper-Carey, kindly lent by Mrs R M Ingham. Fig. 3. St Anne's Church, Alderney.  From a sketch by Amelia Tupper-Carey, kindly lent by Mrs R M Ingham. Fig. 4. SS 'Ibex' (GWR). An early picture, probably before her sinking in 1900, showing gilded scroll-wrok on stem. One of the early LSWR steamers ('Frederica,' 'Lydia' or 'Stella') is seen behind in the harbour blowing off. Summer 1977. XXXIII (2). Fig. 5. 'La Plaiderie' as it is today (Photograph: Carel Toms). Fig. 6. The 'Reindeer' leaving Jersey in her first years of service. Probably about 1898. Fig. 7. The 'Alberta' in 1926. Put on the Southampton-Channel Islands service in 1900. Gross tonnage 1,193. Speed 17½ knots, accommodation for 747. Fig. 8. The 'Wee Mite'. built by Cecil Noel, at L'Eree. Photo: James Marr. Autumn 1977. XXXIII (3). Fig. 9. St Matthew's Church, Cobo. Fig. 10. St Matthew's Church, Cobo, in the process of building, probably in 1854. From a sketch by Amelia Carey. Kindly lent by Mrs R M Ingham. Fig. 11a. The 'Vera,' about 1930, showing the ill-placed funnel. Fig. 11b. The paddle steamer 'Helper' on the Sark service from 1920 until the 'Courier' took over. Winter 1977. XXXIII (4). Fig. 1. 'The Dorcas, 1862'. Photogrpah kindly lent by Mrs R J Ingham. It is not known who the ladies are [but see Guernsey Photographic Archive at Priaulx Library.] A Dorcas Society made clothes for the poor. Fig. 2. The second 'St Patrick' (1930). She was built with one funnel. Fig. 3. The third 'Caesarea' as she came out in 1961; she was later repainted in the new BR colours. Fig. 4. Consecration of St Saviour's parochial cemetery, 1924. Original photograph supplied by Mrs M Mauger. Left to right: ? John Martel, Les Issues (Constable), W D Torode, Les Padins, Nicholas Falla, Sous L'Eglise (Churchwarden), Reverend D F Carey (Dean), Bishop of Winchester, Bishop's Chaplain, Nicholas de la Mare, Les Roberts (Churchwarden, Reverend H H de Ste Croix (Rector), T LE P Martel, Le Gron, A J Robin, La Vieille Rue, T M Vidamour, Les Frances (behind) ?, John de Garis, Les Lohiers (Front), ? (behind), Mansell A Paint, Le Mont Varouf (front), John LE Page, Le Briquet, ?. 

1978

Spring 1978. XXXIV (1). Fig. 1. 'The Dorcas, 1862'. Photograph kindly lent by Mrs R J Ingham. It is not known who the ladies are [but see Guernsey Photographic Archive at Priaulx Library.] A Dorcas Society made clothes for the poor. Fig. 2. The second 'St Patrick' (1930). She was built with one funnel. Fig. 3. The third 'Caesarea' as she came out in 1961; she was later repainted in the new BR colours. Fig. 4. Consecration of St Saviour's parochial cemetery, 1924. Original photograph supplied by Mrs M Mauger. Left to right: ? John Martel, Les Issues (Constable), W D Torode, Les Padins, Nicholas Falla, Sous L'Eglise (Churchwarden), Reverend D F Carey (Dean), Bishop of Winchester, Bishop's Chaplain, Nicholas de la Mare, Les Roberts (Churchwarden, Reverend H H de Ste Croix (Rector), T Le P Martel, Le Gron, A J Robin, La Vieille Rue, T M Vidamour, Les Frances (behind) ?, John de Garis, Les Lohiers (Front), ? (behind), Mansell A Paint, Le Mont Varouf (front), John Le Page, Le Briquet, ?. Summer 1978. XXXIV (2). Fig. 5. La Dame des Eperons (Mrs HIlary Roach) presenting the Spurs to H M The Queen during the special sitting of the Court of Chief Pleas. Mrs Roach is the eldest daughter of the late Professor E B Moullin who presented the spurs during the Queen's visit in 1957. (Reproduced by kind permission of The Guernsey Press). Fig. 6. View from Le Platon, Clifton, about 1874 during the building of St Barnabas. Fig. 7. From a sketch by John Brehaut in 1890 of a house in Guernsey, possibly Te Dapa in Les Vardes. Kindly lent by Miss E Wood. Fig. 8. A D Moullin in the 1870s at Le Platon, Clifton. About the year 1862 his brother, W H Moullin (then an undergraduate at Oxford) brought over to the island a high wheel bicycle [with story including Guernsey French]. Autumn 1978 XXXIV (3). Leaded ware (archaeological diagrams).

1979

Spring 1979. XXXV (1). Figs 1-4. 'Illustrations lost by press.' Spring 1979. XXXV (2) Fig. 5. The Girard Crusher at the Msuem but not the Girard Press - an older and smaller one. Reproduced by kind permission of the National Trust of Guernsey. Fig. 6. Ancient stone type of apple crusher belonging to Mr H D H Brouard, Saints. Small press in background. Photograph W F Tipping 1978. Fig. 7. John Skinner's sketch of the stern of the Steamer 1827. Reproduced by kind permission of the British Library.  Fig. 8. John Skinner's sketch of St James' Church and Castle Carey, 1827. Reproduced by kind permission of the British Library. Winter 1979. XXXV (3). Fig. 5. (sic). Flowering head of galingale (Cyperus longus). (Photo: Carel Toms). Fig. 6. Remarkable rhizome mat of Galingale Sedge (Photo: Guernsey Press). Fig. 8. In the 1830s the bus station was on the Albert Pier (Photo: Guernsey Press).

1980

Spring 1980. XXXVI (1). Fig. 1. Sketch, probably by Amelia Carey, of view from Rozel, Mount Durand, Guernsey, in middle of 19th century. Fig. 2. St Peter Port Harbour, probably taken from Castle Carey or thereabouts. Date about 1875. From a photograph kindly lent by Mrs R M Ingham. Fig. 3. The Bridge, St Sampson's. From a postcard kindly lent by Miss E L Wood. Date about the turn of the century. Fig. 4. A Guernsey tram with the late Mrs C Renault as the only passenger. From a photograph kindly lent by Miss E Wood. Summer 1980. XXXVI (2). Fig. 5. This photograph shows  the building William Cadic purchased in 1842 next to the Town Church. Fig. 6. The Cornet Street premises of Bucktrout's before the steps at the bottom of Cornet Street were built in 1912. Note the 'By appointment to the House of Commons.' Fig. 7. Herm harbour about 1870, with paddle steamer Rescue I, on excursion from Guernsey, alongside. The crane believed to have been used in Lindsay's time is still there. Photograph reproduced by kind permission of Mr Carel Toms. Fig. 8. The smallest prison in the world, the prison near Herm harbour which was used to incarcerate intoxicated quarrymen when the population was up to 400. Photograph reproduced by kind permission of Mr Carel Toms. Winter 1980. XXXVI (3). Fig. 9. View of Smith Street, St Peter Port, by Lemon Michael probably in the 1870s, from a watercolour in the possession of Miss R De Sausmarez. There is a slightly different version of this view in the Guille-Allès Library.

1981