April 1896: the Cemeteries
From St Peter Port Parish Chronicle, in History of the Guernsey Churches, Scrapbook MS in the Library. The Strangers and the Brothers' Cemeteries and their parlous state of preservation.
The ratepayers lately named a committee to report upon the best way of improving the disused cemeteries in Upland Road. The committee has not yet presented its report, but it is satisfactory to know that something will be done to improve the state of these old burial grounds which are a sad eyesore in a pretty neighbourhood.
After a lapse of more than forty years, the ratepayers on the suggestion of the douzaine are considering how to widen the lower part of Candie Road. This much needed improvement necessitates the throwing back of part of the east wall of the old cemetery of the Franciscan Friars. For this purpose a Faculty was presented so long ago as the year 1854, but for some reason unknown to us the work has never been carried out. A committee lately appointed is about to report to the ratepayers upon the subject, and we hope something will be done; but the question of the wisdom, on sanitary grounds, of interfering with a cemetery even after long disuse, will probably cause much discussion at the parish meeting. We should like to see this old cemetery put to order, for at present it is a scandal to the parish, and the ratepayers do not seem to see the necessity of taking it in hand.
The New Cemetery in Candie Road is not so much neglected as the older graveyards; but we could wish that even this ground was better cared for. Those who have graves there, which to them are sacred spots full of touching associations, are constantly wounded by the carelessness which allows profane hands to remove flowers and plants, and rifle the resting-places of our dear ones.
Before long a new cemetery must be provided for the burial of our dead; but as yet the ratepayers are unwilling to undertake this most necessary expense. Our readers will remember that the remaining portion of the old churchyard in Cornet Street would have remained a dust-heap, had it not been for the freewill offerings of a few persons whom the Rector persuaded, now many years ago, to reserve that holy place from profanation.
See also: the Star, October 30 and December 24, 1913, re planting of elm trees and removal of headstones.
Cemetery transcriptions in the Library: Candie; St Johns; Plymouth Brethren; Military at Fort George; Castel; St Matthews; St Pierre du Bois; Foulon; Forest; Vale [in Progress].