Group of Channel Islands internees at Ilag VII, Laufen, Bavaria, Summer 1944.
From the Guernsey Evening Press, October 19, 1945. 'Exiled children made a mansion their home.' The evacuation of the children to Bury and the fate of the Home itself under occupation.
From the Star, July 11 1944 & July 13 1944. By 'Linesman.' The beginnings of Guernsey's link with Tottenham Hotspur. The 1948 match program is from the Library's collection. Ted Zabiela ran the White Hart Hotel (which he must have named after White Hart Lane); his 'proudest moment was in 1946 when he procured for the Spurs the signature of Len Duquemin, the centre-forward who was to bring such honour to the island by his brilliant record both as a player and as a sportsman of the highest order (Guernsey Evening Press, February 5 1960).' Islander Len Duquemin was Spurs' leading goalscorer that year.
Old Court House again. From the Star, June 20, 1944. The photograph, from the Library collection, shows the house in 1861, ten years before the construction of the Avenue led to its demolition.
A visit to the island of Brecqhou, by Bernard Brett, from The Star, November 1947. The detail is from a 1962 photograph in the Library collection.
'Mines, shells, bombs, flung from dump: work of hooligans.' From the Star.
Guernsey, a poem by Oberleutnant Burkert. From Deutsche Guernsey Zeitung, the newspaper of the occupying forces. The photographs above and below from the Library Collection show mine warnings at Fermain Bay and anti-landing defences at Saints Bay.
War Pictorial News, which ran from 1940-46, was produced by the Ministry of Information in Cairo, for distribution to allied troops in the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
The Library is very pleased to hold a copy of this precious record of the Island's most difficult time. At the end of the Diary the Reverend Ord muses on the nature of the relationship of the Islanders with their German occupiers and thanks God for His mercy.
Throughout the occupation of Guernsey (1940-45) Winifred Harvey (1888-1976) kept a diary, which has been edited and published under the title The Battle of Newlands, and which is still in print. In keeping her diary, she followed a family tradition; the Harveys have left behind them comprehensive records from the middle of the 19th century, so detailed that their lives could virtually be reconstructed from them, and much of that material is here at the Library. Their house, Newlands, is illustrated in the photograph above, from the Library Collection.