As always, we have received some exceptional material this year from very kind and generous donors. Above: the Guernsey Arms circular-headed window from Jane Mahy's report on the stained-glass windows of Grange House, one of this year's donations.
According to this note, or cédule, Jean de la Mare of Le Hurel in St Saviour's borrowed several lots of money from Jean Le Mesurier de la Fontaine. This note is for a relatively small amount, 5 livres tournois. The note is dated 27 April 1757, and is part of the Le Hurel Collection donated to us by Esther Hatton.
The Library has received some lovely sketches of local scenes from the well known watercolourist, Valerie Baines. They are a vivid and lively depiction of Liberation Day on Guernsey in 2011, including a few more unusual scenes. The sketch featured shows the late Lieutenant-Governor, Air-Marshal Peter Walker, inspecting local cadets.
The 1850s gold rush in Australia attracted thousand of immigrants and would-be prospectors, and Guernsey was by no means immune to gold fever. 18-year old William Francis Nicolle recorded his voyage to Melbourne in the summer of 1852 in his Journal, which was generously donated to the Library by Stephen Foote. Nicolle followed this with an account of his return from Australia in the freezing cold on board the Avon. His Journal also includes a substantial amount of family history material (Nicolle, De Garis, Lainé, Lamble &c.), as well as other accounts of later voyages made on board cargo ships. He was a carpenter by trade, and the book also includes carefully written instructions for calculations, presumably for reference purposes. Finally, his poem in memory of Nicholas de Mouilpied, who died on the voyage out, aged 22.
Donated 2015 by his granddaughter, Fiona Havergal. Working papers from the early 1920s, and a photograph of the Lieutenant-Colonel. Lt-Col. Kenneth Campbell moved to Sark in 1919, and was sworn in as Seneschal of Sark on the recommendation of W F Collings, the Seigneur. He had left Sark by 1923.
The history of the Library's collection of Livres de Perchage, which we hold in hard copy and digital form, by Sue Laker, our Deputy Chief Librarian. 'A book of Perchage is drawn out by the sworn Douzaine of each fee, when called upon by the King's Receiver or Lord of the Manor, for the purpose of ascertaining correctly the admeasurement of the property in the possession of the tenants upon that fee, and is decisive as to the admeasurement and the name of the then possessor—nothing more.' Peter Jeremie, 1824.
Ollivier the gunsmith, by Bernard Brett, from The Star November 1947. The business at 1, Tower Hill, was begun by his great-great grandfather in 1800.
From a wonderful cache of documents from Le Hurel in St Saviour's, donated by Esther Hatton in 2014.
From the Le Hurel collection, donated by Esther Hatton.
A letter from Marguerite in Alderney to 'Monsieur De La Mare au Huret, au coin de Mr Jean Robin sur Les cais, Guernesey.' From the Le Hurel collection of de la Mare family documents, donated by E Hatton.